I started making black bean burgers quite a few years ago when we were living on a very tight budget. They are cheap to make because they are meatless. I continue to make them because they are frugal but also because they are healthy, quick and easy, and good.
Black Bean Burgers
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese, if you like it spicy use pepper jack (cheddar cheese is good also)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- extra salsa
- sour cream
- 4 hamburger style buns or rolls
In a large bowl whisk together egg and cornstarch until smooth. Add beans, bread crumbs, cheese, salsa, salt, cumin, and lemon juice. Mix well. Form into 4 patties. Cook patties in a non stick pan. I use a non stick griddle type pan. If you use a regular fry pan you will need to use some oil to prevent sticking. Cook about 5 minutes and then turn over and cook 5 minutes more or until golden brown on both sides. Serve on buns with salsa and sour cream.