I have been making this chicken dish for years. It is so easy and frugal. You can use just about any cut of chicken. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts recently but that is the more expensive cut.
I have made this many times with leg quarters or just drumsticks. When my husband was in college we ate this a lot with leg quarters. Whatever you choose, it is really good. This is also very good grilled.
When I find chicken on sale I buy a lot and then freeze it in this marinade. I mix the marinade up in Ziploc bags, add the chicken, and freeze. Thaw in marinade and cook.
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 chicken drumsticks (4 ounces each) or other cut of chicken
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, oil, brown sugar, ginger and garlic powder;add drumsticks. Seal bag and turn to coat; cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place chicken in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 to 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180° and juices run clear. The time will very depending on the cut of chicken.
- You can also grill this chicken. Grilling it has become my favorite way to cook it.