Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day

I have a new favorite cookbook, at least it is my favorite for right now. I love to make bread, and we love to eat bread. So, this cookbook automatically caught my attention.

Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day is a great source for bread recipes. I will start by saying that I think this technically takes longer than five minutes a day, but it is a very quick method of having fresh bread everyday.

It starts off with a master recipe that you make up and place in the refrigerator to use over the next week or two. It makes a great artisan style, crusty loaf of bread. My husband loved it. I have also tried the master recipe with part whole wheat, and it worked really well. I have used the master recipe for bread, pizza, and also for bread sticks.

I love having dough waiting in the fridge for me to use as needed. If we want pizza, I have it to use for a crust. If we are having spaghetti, I can use it for bread or bread sticks.

I have also made the Challah Master Recipe that is in the book. This is a great dough recipe also. I used it to make a braided loaf of bread. This was a great bread. We ate it one day, and then we had the leftover for toast the next morning. I also used the Challah Master Recipe to make cinnamon rolls. They were very good, especially, for how easy they were to put together for a last minute breakfast or dessert.

There are several other master dough recipes in the book that I am looking forward to trying. I think the olive oil bread would be great to use for pizza and bread sticks as a change from the original master recipe.

I think you could really do a lot of things with the several master doughs in this cookbook. I am going to try dinner rolls and focaccia with them. I think the possibilities are pretty endless of what you could do with master recipes. I am really glad that I found bread and dough recipes that are so easy and versatile. It not only saves me time but is frugal. (For more frugal ideas see Biblicalwomanhood)

There are several videos online here is a link to one of them. The authors also have a great website that has lots of tips and recipes on it. If you want to try the master recipe I suggest you watch the video. It will show you just how easy it is.

The master recipe is adapted from Artisan Bread In Five Minutes a Day

Comments

1. Beautiful breads! I love making homemade bread. I’m going to have to try this. :) Thank you for sharing! Have a great Frugal Friday!

2. Okay, I need to try this and find this book. I love bread!

3. Jeff Hertzberg says:

Thanks for the great review, Lynn. I'm Jeff Hertzberg, one of the co-authors of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I'm so glad our recipes are working well for you. Come visit us anytime at http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com, where you can post questions into any "Comments" field, or click on "Bread Questions" on the left side of the homepage and choose among the options.

Jeff Hertzberg

Chicago tribune video: http://us.macmillan.com/BookCustomPage.aspx?isbn=9780312362911&m_type=2&m_contentid=119255#video

4. Pennies In My Pocket says:

I could practically smell the bread coming thru my computer! lol

For some reason, making break just scares me. I’m a dork! lol

~melody~

• Melody,
      I can make bread, so you can too. It does sound like a daunting and miraculous thing to do, but if you carefully follow the recipes and/or watch the videos (if video watching helps you, personally I don’t like watching instructional videos!) you will soon be turning out some lovely and tasty breads!! A no-knead recipe would be a nice start since they are much simpler. Once you’ve gotten the hang of no-knead you’ll be hankering to try something a bit more challenging. Don’t let your fear of bread making put you off any longer. There’s tons of bread making sites online, with as much instruction as you could ever want or ‘knead’!!

5. Penless Thoughts says:

This really sounds interesting. I’ll try it first chance I get.
    Susan

6. Oh I’m SO doing this Lynn, I LOVE bread and being portuguese we are used to the rustic artesan bread that you show in the pictures. I can not wait to try this one :)

7. Oh that looks so good- I’ll definitely have to check out their book!

8. Jackie Brown says:

I’m enjoying your blog. I am also a stay at home mom of three. I just started a cooking ministry with my friends. cookandplaywithjackie.blogspot.com

Do you add vital wheat gluten to the Artisan bread recipe? I’m planning on using 1/2 whole wheat in the recipe. Do you have any more tips for making this bread? I’ve got the cookbook on hold from my library. Where do you order SAF yeast? Thanks, Lynn
    Jackie

9. Jackie, I make the master recipe with part whole wheat. I used 2 cups of whole wheat in it. I do not use the vital wheat gluten but I do use dough enhancer. I like dough enhancer in whole wheat items better than just the wheat gluten. You can also use both. I think dough enhancer really helps whole wheat items turn out better. I think the whole wheat turns out better if used the first week. The whole wheat dough seemed to sour more so I like to use it up more quickly. In my house that is not a problem we eat a lot of bread. And like I said in the post the steam method does give you a crisper crust. I ordered my dough enhancer and my SAF yeast from http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/. I was happy with it. I think they are both worth it. Great questions and please let me know how you like it.

10. Jackie Brown says:

I tried making the bread and my first 2 loaves tasted a little salty, maybe because my kosher salt was coarse salt and I didn’t dissolve it well in the water?? Also, we did not eat the whole loaf so it was hard the next day. My last loaf was served piping hot and I really liked it. I used the vital wheat gluten b/c I haven’t ordered dough enhancer yet. I want to try it to keep the bread softer longer. I will try this with my cooking group. I will also try using only 2 cups ww rather than 3 cups b/c bread was a little heavy and dense, didn’t rise as well as I thought. Thanks for the recipe!! I’m still tweaking my methods.

11. Hi Jackie, kosher salt is different than regular or coarse salt. You use different amounts. I can’t remember the comparision but would be too much reg salt if you added the same amount. I think this recipe really does need the kosher.

12. Jackie Brown says:

I made my second batch of bread with only 2 cups of whole white wheat flour and it was not salty this time and it rose better. I’m still waiting on the cookbook from the library waiting list to see if I want to buy one. In the meantime, if you have any more recipes you have time to share, would love one (maybe cinnamon rolls for my son). I’m going to teach my cooking group how to make this bread dough and send some home with them on Monday. So, thank you for sharing this. We’re using your recipe all the way in Asheville, NC!

13. Jackie Brown says:

Okay so I’m trying to perfect this dough recipe. Here’s my questions again. What are you putting your dough in when you put it in the refrigerator so it doesn’t take up so much space. Is your dough continuing to rise like mine? Is this because I am not letting it rise enough at room temp? Are you really allowing it to rise for two full hours before you put it in the refrigerator? What do you cover your dough with? Did you modify the recipe from the orginal, if so, why? I think I’m going to have to break down and buy this book so I’ll know. Thanks again for your time and experience in the kitchen

14. I do let the bread rise a full two hours before placing in the fridge. It rises a little bit more but not much after I place in fridge. I use a large plastic container. It is like what they use in the video. It is a bucket like I use to store my bulk pasta and beans in. Have you watched the video? I would highly reccomend it. If you google search it you can find several videos to watch. Or watch the one I linked to in the post. Maybe that would help. I hope you can get it right. I am sorry you are having so much trouble. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

15. Jackie Brown says:

We made the bread for cooking group yesterday and everyone took dough home to bake. I’m getting positive comments so far. I still need to watch the video when I have time, but I’m trying your quiche recipe and looking at your casseroles for future cooking in December. I also order the SAF yeast and dough enhancer b/c I haven’t tried it in my dough yet. We’re making it again in Nov. but I ‘m going to try it as soon as I get it. I’ll let you know what differences I notice.

16. Jackie Brown says:

Thank you so much for your insight to this bread. Jeff graciously donated a cookbook to our cooking group and I’m just about ready to dive into the recipes, I can’t wait. So thank you for all your tips and sharing the cookbook. Our group is making this bread again this month (the way the video shows) It’s great to share a cooking passion with someone!

17. Great post! Faith let me to it when she saw my post on this book. I used some of the links on my post. Thanks!

18. Jackie Brown says:

I made flatbread on the grill last night with the basic dough. Rolled out to 1/8″ thick and placed it directly on the grate sprayed with Pam grilling spray. covered and baked for minute or so, flipped and the bread was soft and tender. Made great chicken pitas with salad and I intend to make more and freeze to have on hand for pizzas, rollups, etc.

19. Jackie Brown says:

I just made grilled flatbread with the basic dough last night. Rolled out to 1/8″ thick and placed directly on grate sprayed with grilling spray. Closed, cooked a minute or so and flipped. It made great chicken wraps with salad. I intend to make more and use as pizza crusts, rollups, etc. This is great for summer.

20. FYI – I didn’t follow the directions about baking very well and used a 9×9 pyrex pan instead which exploded when i poured the cup of water in it. Big “duh” on my side. While I have no idea where my broiler pan is, I will be sure to use a metal pan the next time I try this recipe.

21. This is an old post here, but it was linked on Life As Mom this week. I have read all the comments and wondered if you are still making and enjoying this bread, Lynn.

I like to make bread and often make it for my family, regular and gluten-free. I love my bread machine and have recently loved your 40 minute rolls. Do you still love this as much as you did in 2008? I’d love an update to this. :)

• @Cheri, Yes, I still love this bread and made it very often until going gluten free. I really have not made it much since going gluten free, but my husband wishes I would make it more. :) In the Healthier Bread in Five book they have a gluten free chapter. The gf breads in it are okay, but not great. I am working on tweaking the gf ones to see if I can get them to work with other flours. There is something about the taste of the gf ones we don’t like and I think it is the soy flour. But if your library has the healthier bread in five you may want to take a look at it. You might like the gf recipes better than we did. I am so glad you like the 40 minutes rolls. I hope to get a gf version of those just right also. Thanks for reading.