New Use For An Old Piece Of Furniture

We bought this piece of furniture several years ago at an antique store. Both my husband and I really like it. It was used as a wardrobe. I am guessing it was used in an entryway of a house for coats and outerwear. It still has the original bar and hangers attached inside.

We wanted it to be more functional so we put shelves in it. We put these in it, in a way that does not harm the piece. It is a free standing shelf unit that can come in and out. We used this piece for several years in our bedroom to store clothes in instead of a dresser.

We recently moved some furniture and kitchen items around. We decided to give this piece a new use.

I do not have a very big kitchen and do not have much storage space. This piece now holds a lot of my canned goods and other items. It is not in my kitchen but it still works great for these items. I was able to fit a lot into it. This allowed me to have more room in my kitchen for storage. I love my new use for this piece.

See the original rod is still in place.

For more antique and unique items see Antique Thingie Thursday and Show and Tell Friday.

Comments

1. It’s the perfect marrriage between beauty and function. Lovely!

2. ~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ says:

I love it a portable pantry!! Pretty & functional too!

3. marianedwardsdreamweaver says:

What a beautiful cupboard and you’ve put it to great use…very clever :)

4. Coloradolady says:

What a great idea. I love that you can use it in your kitchen. What a nice touch.

5. Oh my goodness.. I would love one of these.

6. Wonderful wardrobe and a great pantry idea: my extra canned goods are stacked on a bookcase in my sewing room…yours is much more elegant.

7. Penless Thoughts says:

Great use of an antique piece and still keeping its original use and look.
    Susan

8. Frazzled Mom says:

I love it! I just adore pieces of beautiful furniture in the kitchen.

9. The Secret Gardener says:

What a great antique and storage piece!

10. Oooh, Lynn! I just saw a wardrobe just like that at a fabulous gift shop in town. They were using it to display beautiful pieces, leaving the doors open. It looked fabulous. Your cabinet is soooo pretty! I hope you’ll post after you decide what to do with it!
    Kathy

11. Lady Katherine says:

I love that you made it a cupboard, or pantry. Its a wonderful piece of furniture.

12. This is a beautiful piece, what
    a fabulous pantry it has become!

13. That is beautiful. I always love pretty items with a practical purpose.

14. Great Ideal to give it a better use. The is nothing like move storage space.
    Grammy

15. hip chick says:

Mr. Hip and I have been looking for such a piece for quite a while now. Your’s looks lovely and is quite functional.

16. A beautiful piece, being put to great practical use.

Thanks for sharing.

17. Hootin' Anni says:

Awesome!! I love the fact that you took a beautiful piece of old furniture and refurbished it to its original beauty then found good use for it!!!

My Show n Tell is shared. Come by if you can. And I added a comment link right below the end of my show n tell today, since it’s such a huge blog for Halloween. Gifts galore for all! If you stop by!!!

18. Chez Nous says:

Great idea and by leaving the rod in, you can always go back to using it as a wardrobe should you ever need one.

19. the pleasures of homemaking says:

It’s a beautiful piece and it’s wonderful that it’s become such useful storage for you!

Manuela

20. Is that a corner wardrobe? How pretty, I love that you found shelves to fit inside and now have a pantry!! Smart AND attractive!!!

21. Love Bears All Things says:

I love that you kept it original. It looks like a corner piece, if so, it would make a great TV cabinet in my living room. A great find. Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to share my pantry with everyone soon. It is a small room off the laundry room.
    Mama Bear

22. Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ says:

I love that piece. I’m all about repurposing and reusing whatever we can. It used to drive my hubby crazy until he realized how much less money we spend on things, lol!
    Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

23. Beautiful wardrobe! I have one that is very similar. My dad found it at a garage sale about 20 years ago. He refinished it and my husband now uses it for his clothes. Your wardrobe reminded me of some very happy times spent with my dad, who is now gone. Thanks for the beautiful post :).

24. I like that a lot! I’m really big on turning my thrift store finds into something useful. I’m going to remember this one!

25. What a beautiful piece of furniture. Thanks for sharing it.
    Nancy

26. That is a great piece of furniture. Works perfectly for a pantry!

Linda

27. Elizabeth says:

I’m so glad you were able to keep the integrity of the piece and still get so much use out of it!

28. Such a great piece of furniture…awesome that it works so well for the kitchen!

29. What a great solution to your storage needs…it’s good that you found a way to leave the piece unaltered but still made if fit as an ample storage cabinet.