This is a great soup. We really like it. It is one of my favorite Crockpot soups. It is adapted from a Southern Living Recipe. The bacon in this recipe is optional but it is better with bacon. But bacon makes everything taste better. I hope you enjoy. For more great recipes see Slow Cooking Thursday.
Slow Cooked Baked Potato Soup
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 3/4 lbs.)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 42 ounces chicken broth(5 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup light sour cream (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (optional)
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a 5-quart slow-cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for six hours, or low for 8-10 hours–or, cook until potato is tender.
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in milk, and cheese.
- In each individual bowl, top with a dollop of sour cream, if desired, and sprinkle with bacon and cheddar cheese before eating.