I posted this in October. I have made this several times since then and we love it. I thought it would be a good recipe to link to for Life As Mom’s Hot and Spicy recipe swap.
We love this chicken and beans recipe. We eat a lot of beans but we like them to be flavorful. A lot of bean recipes are plain. We tend to like the ones that have a lot of seasoning. This recipe is just that. It has really good flavor. You can make this as spicy as you want it by adding more or less chipotle chilies.
It is real easy meal to make. You can place it in the crockpot in the morning and it will be ready for dinner. We served this over rice but it would also be good served with tortillas.
Tex Mex Chicken and Beans
- 1 1/2 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 jar (11 ounces) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce ( more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
- Cooked Rice
- Shredded Cheese, for serving
- Soak beans overnight. Drain.
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chilies, flour, and water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion on top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. (Do not open lid or stir.)
- Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream over rice.