We love soup in the winter time. It is so nice to have a warm bowl of soup on a cold winter day. I try to make soup once a week during the winter.
This recipe is a favorite one. It is quick, easy, healthy, and frugal. You could add some sausage to this to make it more hearty but we love it just like it is. This is one of the few meatless meals that my husband likes.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in a little oil until tender. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots, macaroni and oregano. Cook until vegetables and macaroni are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in spinach; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes.