Wacky Cake

Today’s post is by my niece. She made this cake with my kids last time we visited them. It is a really fun and frugal recipe. I hope you enjoy.

My name is Hailey, and I am Lynn’s thirteen-year-old niece. My mother loves cooking and receives the “Cook’s Country” magazines. I enjoy reading the “When Things Go Wrong in the Kitchen” section (because it is so unbelievably absurd) and the “Lost Recipes” feature (which discusses old recipes that many people do not know about today).

Wacky cake was featured in the February/March 2006 issue. Wacky cake, true to its name, is an unusual cake. It was made during WWII, when food (like eggs and milk) were rationed. Although this cake lacks both eggs and milk, it is delicious and moist.

All that is needed to make this is:

Enjoy!

Hailey

For more great recipes see Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tammy’s Recipes.

Comments

1. How neat is that?! I bet my son and daughter would love trying this.

2. I used to make this all the time! So fun and easy

3. thank you for sharing! i have never heard of that before!

4. Great to see a young lady interested in baking! I made this cake when I was your age. I still enjoy it. When I got older, I thought I knew better than the directions and used a mixer to get the lumps out. Mistake! The cake rises much better with a quick stir and entrance into the oven. Keep up the baking skills!

Hailey, you did a great job, for your Aunt. I am very glad to have this fun recipe. Thanks for sharing it at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, this week. Looks like another blogger in the making!

6. Faith - That's Just Freaking Lovely says:

Cool recipe I have been on the hunt for an eggless cake recipe, so I will have to try this!

7. BarbaraLee says:

Don't you mix the dry & wet together?

8. Barbaralee, you just mix it all together in the pan.

9. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home says:

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

10. Good job Hailey ! I always wondered how my Nana made cakes during WWII rationing… thanks for this recipe and the step by step instructions !

11. This is my FAVORItE cake! I didn’t know anyone outside my family knew about it. I learned it from my mom, she learned from her mom, she learned from hers…
    .-= kp´s last blog ..Why is sleep necessary? =-.

12. My boys are going to love this!
    Thanks,
    Mary

13. Dee Johnson says:

I use this Gluten Free recipe. It’s as good as the full gluten one! Maybe even better with the chocolate frosting! 😉

14. Jill Oldehoeft says:

Been making this since I was a little kid! I always mix mine in the bowl, though, and there are a couple variations to the recipe my grandma passed down.

15. Cristina says:

Making this now with my son! How much vanilla is to be added? I am going to guess 1 tsp? It isn’t listed in the ingredients list. Thanks for sharing!