Homemade Cake Mix

I have really been trying to find a homemade version of a cake mix. I think I have finally given up and decided that sometimes cake mixes just work best.

I have now tried several different cake mix recipes that are supposed to be copy cats of a mix like Duncan Hines. I found the recipes online and all were reviewed well. I don’t agree. They are not like a Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker cake mix cake. They just aren’t. Yes, they are good, but they are not a cake mix cake.

The texture is just all wrong. They fall apart and are much dryer then a mix cake. I tried adjusting things and baked them less, but the results still were not the same. It just is not the same.

I rarely use a cake mix. I use them in my cake mix cookies and for a few other cakes that I doctor up to make them better. The homemade mix just won’t work for these things. It just isn’t close enough.

Yes, I can make a good chocolate cake, but sometimes I am just going to break down and buy an unhealthy, preservative filled cake mix.

What do you think? Has anyone else had success trying a homemade version of a cake mix and have it turn out like a cake mix would? Have you found something that works for you? Something that is just truly just like a cake mix?

1. Snow White says:

I haven’t figured it out either. Pioneer Woman seems to have a good one — but you’re right, they just taste different. And, I LOVE a good Betty Crocker cake, warm right out of the oven, no frosting. That’s been my birthday “treat” ever since I was litle. I’m with you — every once and a while, I’m willing to splurge until I find a recipe that will work.

2. familymgrkendra says:

I found a recipe online around Christmas and it is now our favorite:

3. caroline says:

I don’t have a recipe either, but I DO like cake mixes. And I feel the same way about Brownies. Homemade ones aren’t as good as the mix brownies to me.

4. Kimberly says:

Well, I can’t say I know a good homemade cake mix. But…have you read “The Cake Mix Doctor” cookbook? It uses cake mixes, but adds other ingredients so the cakes taste more homemade. I know…defeats the purpose, BUT…the cakes taste very good. I’ve made several different cakes out of the book, and my family loved them.

Cake mixes contain emulsifiers (so?), and a couple of other ingredients that help the cake rise and keep it moist, even after a few days on the counter. I’m not sure they can be duplicated by a home baker.

5. Kimberly, I love the Cake Mix Dr cookbook. But I am/was trying to stay away from packaged stuff. :) I agree I just don’t think we can duplicate it at home. So I think I will make an exception and use them.

6. Melissa D at DropTheBabyWeight.com says:

I do have a basic cookie recipe where I switch out the ingredients, but no cake recipe. But April’s Southern Living magazine has a master mix where you add or subtract an ingredient to make different kinds of cakes and match them up with different frostings. It looked great! Try their website, maybe?

I wonder if you may need to do something like sift the mix recipe you have a few times to get a really tender crumb…

7. Page Carlyon says:

What I hate is that the companies that make the cake mixes are now making them in 16.5 oz size instead of 18.25 to 18.5 oz.

8. I haven’t tried the Duncan Hines copy cat white cake mix from scratch yet, but I tend to agree with you. There is just something about the light airy texture you get with a box mix that you can’t get with homemade. Is it the preservatives that give it that light, airy texture, supposedly that is the only difference. I even use cake flour and still the cake is fairly dense, so what gives? If you find a recipe from scratch that has the light airy texture, I would should like to get a copy.