Swirl Coffee Cake

I think Tuesday has become my unhealthy post day. Unhealthy things are so much more fun to post about.
I have been making a lot of treats around our house. I do send a lot of them to my husband’s office for his staff to enjoy. This recipe was one of those. It made a perfect treat to send to work with him.

I first read about this recipe on Bunny’s blog. You can also find the recipe on the Crisco website. Yes, it has Crisco in it. I know unhealthy, but it makes this recipe have a flakier texture. So, I do splurge and use Crisco once in a while.

I thought this recipe sounded so good when I first saw it and it looked so good in Bunny’s picture. But I don’t’ like cherries. I like fresh cherries, but not canned or preserved type cherries. So, I thought raspberry jelly would work well. It worked very well. I am sure the cherry version is very good, but we thought the raspberry was delicious. I think strawberry or blackberry jelly would work well also.

I though this recipe was kind of a cross between a coffee cake and a pastry. Some coffee cakes are dry and this one is not. It is nice and flaky and more pastry like. One thing I really liked about this recipe was that it made two cakes. This worked well for me because it gave me one to send to my husband’s office and one to keep for us.

I hope you give it a try.

For more recipes and tips see Tammy’s Recipes and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday.

1. Sonshine says:

Yummy!!! Adding this to the make list!!!

thanks for sharing!

2. I’m so glad you liked it, my first cake was gone before I knew it!! The different jams sound wonderful and a good way to change the flavor up!!

3. sarahdodson says:

Wow, that looks GOOD! I think I want to have dessert at your house:)

The picture makes my mouth water!

5. Oh my. This looks sinfully delicious!

6. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home says:

Now that DOES look yummy! Wow!

7. Oh. My. That looks SOOOO good! Oh. My. I love it. Gonna save this recipe for sure! And I’m adding you to my google reader so I won’t miss anything else you post! LOL! Thank you!!
    Have a happy Tuesday!

8. my mouth is watering this looks really good adding to my receipes to make list

9. newlyweds says:

Beautiful!! This looks so good. I am sure your hubby’s coworkers love you for sending all the sweets.

10. Looks really good and not too difficult

11. This looks absolutely fantastic!

12. I agree that unhealthy things are so much more fun to post about! This looks great- I love new breakfast or afternoon coffee time recipes. Thanks.

13. beautiful and looks so yummy!

14. Love that! Looks like a giant cinnamon roll!

15. Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam says:

This seriously looks like you found this in a cookbook. The picture makes me want to get the flour out this moment. :)
    Thanks for sharing it with Tasty Tuesday.

16. Emily @ Marvelous Recipes says:

Coffee cake is my favorite! I will have to try this one and have it with my morning coffee!

17. shopannies says:

this is sure to be a hit looks like giant cinamon roll

18. Michelle says:

This looks really good and I am really excited to try it! However I tried making this today and the dough never rised, any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong?

• Sometimes it is hard to say with yeast. Was it yeast you had used recently and know was good? A cold day can also change the way yeast rises. Was the taste okay on it even though it did not rise?

• Michelle says:

I actually wound up throwing it all away and started over. It is now in the oven and this batch did rise. I think the issue was I did not let the milk mixture cool enough before adding the yeast. I know the yeast is good because I use it in my homemade bread all of the time. I am excited to give this batch a try! I haven’t given up yet!!