Quick and Easy Beef and Barley Skillet Dinner

I am always looking for dinners that are quick and easy, but also healthy. I love this recipe because it fits those three things, and it is frugal.

I found this recipe in an old Taste of Home ground beef cookbook. It was published in the early to mid 1990’s. The cookbook is not longer available, but if you find it used, I highly recommend it. It is full of some really good recipes. I have used my copy a lot over the years.

The original recipe for this called for regular barley. Regular barley takes over an hour to cook, so I wanted a quicker version. I adapted it so that I could use the quick cooking barley. It works great with the quick cooking kind, but if you don’t mind the longer cooking time you can use the regular barley.

This recipe calls for vinegar and brown sugar. At first I thought this was a bit strange, but I gave it a try using those ingredients. I am glad I did. It really gave it a good flavor. I do think though you could change up the seasonings in this dish.

My son and husband would like this spicy. In fact my son put hot sauce on his. So, I think you could spice this up some with other seasonings. But it is also really good made this way.

Comments

1. Snow White says:

I like that! Thanks for sharing.

2. This sounds very good. Will have to give it a try. Thanks.. Amy

3. newlyweds says:

Looks lovely, I’ve never used barley before, I know I should get my act together and try it.

4. Your Frugal Friend, Niki says:

It looks good, ya know I have never bought barley before…where do you get it?

5. Niki, you find it on the same aisle as the rice and beans at a regular groc. store usually.

6. I love beef and barley together, this looks like a great dinner!

7. Hoosier Homemade says:

That looks good. I’ll have to say that I have never cooked barley before. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

8. what do you serve with this meal? Lettuce maybe a bisquit? I enjoyed this recipe.

9. Linda, yes exactly. I serve it with bread and a salad.

10. Our neck of the woods says:

Hi Lynn I am a newbie. I have all the ingrediants for the barley beef meal. I have regular barley. I am curious do I add more cooking time and more water?

11. Thanks for stopping by. Here is the link to the original recipe that calls for regular barley. I hope that helps. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Beef-and-Barley-Mulligan

12. Our neck of the woods says:

Thank you for this recipe. I made it early in the day and it was ready for us after swim lessons. So yummy and filling. I froze the leftovers and served it again recently and it was just as good as the first time.

13. Alaina @ Three Ladies and a Dad says:

I made this (again) tonight. I just wanted to thank you…I love recipes that are good leaving it exactly as the recipe states or adding your own take on it. It is super versatile and yummy!

Thanks again!