Coconut Bars

Warning this recipe contains coconut! That is what I have to tell my daughter anytime a dessert has coconut in it. She hates coconut and does not like being surprised by it when she takes a bite. And it is not just a texture thing with her, she does not like anything even coconut flavored.

I on the other hand love coconut. It has so much flavor. It is so good. I can eat a handful of it straight from the bag. Oh, it is so good!

This recipe came from my mom. She made this all the time when we were growing up. This recipe reminds me so much of my childhood. She made these a lot because they were easy, frugal, and really good. The whole family enjoyed these bars.

This is a basic old fashioned, simple recipe. No frills or fancy ingredients. This dessert can be made with simple pantry ingredients. I love recipes like that, don’t you?

Now I am curious to know how many of you are coconut haters? Or are you like me and love it?

For more frugal ideas see Frugal Fridays and Grocery Cart Challenge.

Comments

1. I LOVE coconut but one of my daughters is like yours – hates the stuff and gets really mad when I sneak it in things and don't tell her. And yes, I love recipes that are simple, made with pantry staples and frugal. That is what I love best about your site, you always post stuff like that. The Hot Milk Cake has become a family favorite and my kids request it often.

Keep them coming!!

Jill

2. Thanks Jill!

3. I was curious when you use whole wheat flour in cookies and sweet stuff do you use whole wheat pastry aka soft white wheat?

I love your recipes!

4. Jennifer says:

I adore coconut! In almost anything!

5. Sarah, usually I use ww pastry(soft white wheat) in non yeast items. Cookies, pancakes, muffins, etc. I know most don't have ww pastry so I don't always specify that. If a recipe I post does not say ww or ww pastry than I use regular all purpose flour. I hope that helps.

6. Melissa says:

Those look really good! I can almost taste the butter, brown sugar, and coconut already. I just might have to bake these TODAY!

7. Amy @ Puppy Tufts says:

MMM. I love coconut always have. I too can eat it straight from the bag. Will be trying these soon. Thanks.

8. sarahdodson says:

I like coconut, but my husband doesn't :( They look good to me!

We REALLY liked the hot milk cake. It was delicious! :) Thanks for sharing so many good recipes. this has become one of my favorite blogs.

9. momlovesbeingathome says:

I'm a coconut hater unfortunately. Actually, hate may be a little too strong of a word. I won't get mad if I taste it in something but I would never intentionally put it in something. :) There are a couple of things that, out of politeness when someone else makes it, I can eat it in but for the most part I avoid it. Both of my kids like it though. Which is really strange because I'm not a picky eater at all and my daughter is a little bit picky yet she likes it and I don't! haha!

10. NeedANap2 says:

I'm with your daughter – I hate coconut. But I love coconut smelling shampoo! I am a person of vast contradictions. :) Thanks for the warning, though my husband would love it!

11. Our neck of the woods says:

Yum, I'm happy to say my whole family loves coconut. I will be adding this to the grocery list.

12. This is sort of like a recipe I have called Blonde Brownie's. Can't wait to try these for my husband! Thanks!

13. Growing up, my favorite candy bar was Peter Paul Mounds, and for my birthday every year my mom made me a Peter Paul Mounds cake! I loved it because coconut was between each layer! It's about the only time we had that cake. Now, my daughter carries on the tradition and makes one for my birthday each year…but the menfolk in the family won't eat coconut! So, again, we only serve it once a year! Thanks for the coconut bar recipe.

14. I love Coconut, but I’m really the only in my family who does, unfortunately.
    These sound great.

15. LOVE Coconut! Will be making these shortly. Thanks!

16. I’m confused. Do you cream the butter and sugars together with a mixer, then add the rest of the ingred.
    by hand?

Trackbacks

1. […] Coconut bars are one of the foods that bring back so many childhood memories for me. My mom made them all the time. They were one of her go to recipes because they contained everyday ingredients that she always had on hand. They were also an inexpensive and very easy dessert to make and she made them often. […]