We loved this soup. This is my gluten free meltdown soup, I did not want it to be forever known as that, so I am just calling it Chicken Tortilla Soup. It is basically a Mexican type taco soup. There are many variations of soups like this, but I really did come up with this by just finding things that I had, that were gluten free.
I came up with this because I needed a gluten free meal, however this soup is really good and it can be enjoyed by anyone. You will definitely see this soup on our menu again. We all enjoyed it.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 28 ounces of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa, I used medium but use the kind you like
- 1 (4 ounce) can of green chilies
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained ( or cook your own beans, I cook a bunch up and keep in the freezer)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 8 corn tortillas
- couple of tablespoons of oil
- cheese and sour cream for serving
Combine the first 11 ingredients in a crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Remove chicken and shred meat. Return meat to crockpot and add frozen corn. Cook for another 30 minutes. During the last 20 minutes of the soup cooking, brush tortillas with oil. Cut into strips, spread on a cookie sheet or pan and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, stirring once or twice during cooking. Serve soup with tortillas strips, cheese, and sour cream.