Although we love my rice cooker macaroni and cheese, there are times that we want something a little different and more like a classic macaroni and cheese.
I had several macaroni and cheese recipes that I made and loved, before going gluten free, but since going gluten free my family has missed them.
I have tried to adapt my old favorites, using gluten free pastas, and by changing up the sauce a little, but they were just not adapting right.
The sauce to pasta ratio was not right. Not only that I found that using cornstarch in the sauce in place of the flour, gave the macaroni and cheese an odd taste and texture that we did not like.
I knew though that to get more of a classic baked macaroni and cheese I needed a white sauce as a base. Since macaroni and cheese is a family favorite, I was not about to give up on finding a gluten free version that we liked.
I decided to try and adapt the Pioneer Woman’s Macaroni and Cheese to make it gluten free. I tweaked a few things with the sauce to make it work, but it turned out great.
I found that using potato starch in place of the flour worked best in the sauce in this recipe. Potato starch is a staple in most gluten free kitchens, so it is a good choice as a replacement for flour in dishes like this.
I have actually never made this recipe the regular way. I am assuming it is very good, since the gluten free version turned out so well.
I have now made this several times and my whole family enjoys it. In fact, I served it to a friend of ours and he could not believe it was gluten free. I love hearing that with gluten free food. So, often you can tell when things are gluten free. Hearing that it tastes just like regular food is quite a compliment.
I hope you enjoy!
Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 cups gluten free macaroni, uncooked
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Cook macaroni as directed.
- While macaroni is cooking melt the butter in a large pot.
- Whisk in potato starch and cook for about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in milk and continue whisking.
- Add mustard and cook over medium heat until thick. About 3-4 minutes.
- Beat egg into a small bowl and add about 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture to the egg to temper it.
- Pour egg mixture into the pan of hot milk mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add salt, seasoning salt, and pepper.
- Stir in cheese until smooth.
- Stir in cooked macaroni.
- Place macaroni in a baking dish and sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
This post linked to Gluten Free Wednesdays.