If your kids love cookie cakes, but have missed them since going gluten free this homemade gluten free cookie cake is a great make at home treat!
It took me a few tries and several disasters, but I finally came up with a gluten free cookie cake that is very close to the one we used to enjoy. I am really looking forward to using this for birthdays.
The taste and texture are very good. The only difference I have noticed is that the gluten free version does not come out of the pan as easily, so make sure the cookie is completely cooled before trying to remove it from the pan.
Gluten Free Cookie Cake
- 1 ¼ cups rice flour
- ½ cup sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mixed milk- and semisweet chocolate chips
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, xantham gum, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; mix until they are fully incorporated.
- Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, and press to flatten, covering bottom of pan. Bake until edges are brown and top is golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Don’t over bake this, it will continue to cook a few minutes out of the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut into wedges. Serve warm; or cooled topped with a scoop of ice cream if desired.