I love chicken strips and I have tried various homemade versions over the years. This recipe today is one of my favorites.
The potato chips give it a nice taste and crunch that I really enjoyed. Yes, I know this is not the healthiest of chicken dishes, but it is a nice treat and you really only need to eat one or two chicken strips, so you are not really eating that many potato chips.
One of the things that I really liked about this recipe was the wet mixture that you dip the chicken in. It had dijon mustard in it and it gives it a nice unique taste. I think you could easily use this in other breaded chicken recipes.
The other thing I liked about this recipe is that this is a nice gluten free coating for chicken. It is the same idea as breading, but you are not using bread or crumbs to make it.
Potato Chip Chicken
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese ( I use the stuff in the green can for this)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into strips or use chicken tenders
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack in pan. I did not use foil in the picture and it made it harder to clean up. Save yourself some time and use foil.
- In a shallow dish mix mustard and butter.
- In other dish mix chips, cheese, and salt.
- Dip chicken into mustard mixture and then into coating mixture
- Set coated strips onto rack and let sit or 20 minutes. This helps the coating to set and stick better.
- You cook the chicken on the rack, which helps make the chicken crunchy.
- Then bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Let stand about 5 minuted before serving.
- We like these served with a honey mustard sauce and to make that I just mix together equal parts honey and mustard and serve it with the chicken.