These homemade peppermint patties have been a family favorite for years. This basic recipe came from a Taste of Home magazine from 1995. Yes, these are so good that I have made them almost every Christmas for fifteen years.
The original recipe for these had you making individual little patties and dipping each one. My sisters and I have found though that it is much easier to make these into bars.
If you like the mint patties that you find in the candy aisle, you will love these.
Homemade Peppermint Patties
- 3-3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add milk and mix well.
- Spread mixture onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. ( I use my silpat mat)
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of shortening in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Spread over chilled mint mixture and chill until chocolate is set.
- Flip bars over and carefully peel or parchment paper. Melt remaining chocolate and shortening and spread over the mint layer. Chill until set.
- After firm, bring to room temperature and then cut them. If the chocolate is solid these will be hard to cut. I bring them to room temperature to cut them, and then put them back in the refrigerator to store them.