I know I have been posting quite a few pudding recipes lately, but several of you have asked for my homemade lemon pudding recipe and I wanted to be sure to share it with you.
When my friend Toni sent me lemons a few months ago I knew one of the things I wanted to make was lemon pudding. I love lemon and pudding, so I knew lemon pudding would be a perfect way to use these lemons.
My mom used to make the best lemon pudding when I was a kid. It was one of my favorite desserts and I would often request it. This recipe is similar to the one my mom makes and it is so good.
One of the things that I love about homemade puddings is that they are a quick and easy dessert. They go together in no time and work either warm or cold. Not only that, pudding usually contains simple ingredients that I almost always have on hand.
If you have never tried making homemade pudding you really should give it a try. It is quick and easy and so much better tasting.
Easy Lemon Pudding
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a saucepan whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
- Over medium heat, slowly whisk in milk. And cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Place one cup of hot pudding mixture into a small bowl with the egg yolks. Whisk together. You are tempering the eggs.
- Return egg/pudding mixture to the pan and continuing cooking over med heat until thickened. You need to stir this consistently.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and butter. Stir until butter is melted and mixture is combined.
- Strain pudding to remove any lumps.
- Serve warm or cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.