We eat a lot of Mexican type food in our house. The majority of it is in the form of tacos, nachos, and burritos, all of which I use seasoned taco meat for.
I have been looking for years for a homemade version of taco seasoning that we like, only to be disappointed time and time again. I would always go back to those little packets of taco seasoning that you buy at the store.
I have also been asked many times if I had a homemade taco seasoning recipe. I would always have to admit that I bought those packages of seasoning from the store.
Well, I will no longer have to season my taco meat using those little packets. I finally came up with a homemade taco seasoning that my family really enjoys. I basically stopped trying recipes for taco seasoning and just used the spices that my family enjoyed and it worked. We love this.
I like to mix a large batch of the spices up and keep it in a small jar in the cupboard. All I have to do is add in the tomato sauce and beef when I am ready to cook it. That way it is still a homemade seasoning mix, but it has the convenience of the store bought version.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon or to taste salt
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 pound ground beef
- Combine chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt and ground beef and cook until beef is almost completely browned and cooked.
- Add cornstarch, sugar, and tomato sauce and continue cooking until meat is done and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve as a filling for tacos.