Today we have a guest post from my sister Flora. She is sharing one of her favorite pie recipes with us and it looks really good. This is one of those recipes that can easily be made regular or gluten free, just by using a different crust.
I’m Flora and I am one of Lynn’s sisters and like Lynn I love to cook. I consider myself a serious home cook; I just now happen to cook everything gluten-free. I am always trying to find fresh, flavorful meals to feed my family, but I also really like dessert. So, when Lynn asked me to do a guest post, I knew exactly what recipe I wanted to share.
Chocolate pies are always a hit and this one is no exception. With layers of melted chocolate, caramel, peanuts, and more chocolate it looks really impressive, yet is relatively easy to prepare.
This Tin Roof Fudge Pie is based on an old Taste of Home recipe and if you like the classic trio of chocolate, caramel and peanuts this is one dessert you should really try! It needs to set up in the refrigerator, making it the perfect make ahead recipe for company or a special occasion (I just recently made it for my dad’s birthday).
I think the pie is plenty attractive as is, so I choose not to garnish it. However, extra whipped cream, peanuts, or even melted chocolate or caramels would be nice choices.
Tin Roof Fudge Pie
I use a microwave to melt the chocolate and caramels in this recipe, but a double boiler could also be used.
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (9 inch) pastry shell, baked
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups lightly salted peanuts
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Extra peanuts, whipped cream, melted chocolate, etc
- To prepare the crust layer: In a microwave safe bowl, place the 2 ounces chocolate and 1 TB butter and cook in 30 second intervals, stirring as needed, until melted and smooth. Spread into the bottom of the baked crust. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- To prepare the Peanut Layer: In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, place caramels and the whipping cream, cooking in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth, stirring as needed to incorporate the caramels into the cream. Add the peanuts and stir to combine. Spoon over the chocolate layer and spread with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Return to refrigerator.
- To make Chocolate Layer: In a small microwave safe bowl, place chocolate and butter and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring as needed, until chocolate in smooth and melted. Allow to cool 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat whipping cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gently stir in the melted chocolate, and mix until the chocolate is completely incorporated into the whipped cream. Spread over the peanut layer and refrigerate until set (about 2 hour). Slice into pieces and garnish as desired before serving.