I recently made one of my all time favorite desserts gluten free. It really adapted very well gluten free. I think the gluten free cake was a little bit heavier, but it was very close to the real thing.
You could actually use almost any yellow type gluten free cake recipe or mix for this.
I decided to just post the cake recipe here, because I have the whole recipe and all the steps posted on my main site. You can go there for the filling and meringue recipe, plus all the directions.
Lemon Meringue Cake
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg and 2 egg yolks ( save the whites for the meringue)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
For the Cake:
- In a bowl cream butter and sugar. Add egg and egg yolks. Mix well.
- In a bowl combine the rice flour, cornstarch, sweet rice flour, salt, and xanthan gum, and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Start and end with the dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla. Place batter into a greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until done. Let cool 5 minutes and remove from pan to a cooling rack.