It is summertime. This means that it is the time of year many of us will be attending picnics, barbecues, and family get togethers. And one of the foods that you often see at these gatherings is potato salad.
This year I wanted to serve a potato salad that was something a little different. I was looking for something a little more unique and unusual.
When I was planning the menu for a recent barbecue that I was hosting, I decided to go with a spicy theme and a spicy potato salad sounded really good to me. I knew it would be pretty easy to add a little kick to my basic potato salad.
I decided to do this with a little chipotle pepper, but I did not just add the chipotle pepper, I made it into a chipotle mayonnaise first and then used that mayonnaise as the base for the salad.
But I still needed to add a little something else to it to make it different. Chipotle peppers have a smoky taste to them, so bacon seemed like the perfect choice to add to the salad.
When I first tasted this potato salad, I knew that I had created a recipe that was really good. I loved it. And so did everyone else at the barbecue.
I made this potato salad so that everyone would enjoy it and I kept the spiciness to a minimal, but you could easily add more chipotle to this if you like it really spicy.
Chipotle Bacon Potato salad
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce ( 1 pepper not 1 can)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 5 lbs of potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 6 sliced of bacon, cooked and chopped
- salt to taste
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover in water. Bring to a boil and turn down to a medium heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender combine mayonnaise, sour cream, chipotle pepper, and lime juice. Puree until smooth.
- Add chipotle mayonnaise to potatoes and stir gently until combined. Add boiled eggs, and bacon. Add salt to taste.
- Refrigerate several hours before serving to blend the flavors together well.
- Serve and enjoy!
This post linked to Tasty Tuesday.