Blueberry Baked Oatmeal

It is no secret that we love baked oatmeal. It is a quick and easy breakfast that is also healthy and kid friendly.

We often think of oatmeal as a cold weather breakfast, but because it is so healthy I try to incorporate it into our meals all year long.

I recently came up with a blueberry version of baked oatmeal that my kids love. In fact, I think this might be my son’s favorite baked oatmeal that I make.

He loves blueberries and he had three helpings of this the first time I made it. When a nine year old boy, who is a picky eater, eats three bowls of oatmeal, you know it must be good.

I have been using fresh blueberries for Blueberry Baked Oatmeal because I have had them from our garden, but I think frozen blueberries will work just fine. I plan to make it with frozen blueberries when I no longer have the fresh ones available.

If you are looking for something new for breakfast you really should give this a try. It is so good.

Comments

1. We love baked oatmeal at well. I made a version with Cinnamon, Apples and Cranberries last week that was a huge hit here. I’ve been wanting to try blueberries for a while. Thanks for the reminder.

2. I know you make your own yogurt so when you add vanilla yogurt, is that yogurt you’ve made or bought? If it’s yogurt you made how do you make it?

• @Heidi, I do make my own yogurt and we love it, but have not had the time to do it the last month or so. So, the couple of times I have made this I used store bought vanilla yogurt. I do think a plain store bought or homemade plain yogurt would work fine though.

3. Hi, Lynn. We love oatmeal too! I was wondering, have you ever made the baked oatmeal with steel cut oats? It’s what we have, but I don’t know how it would work with a baked recipe.

4. I’m going to make this for my guests coming next week. Yum!

5. this looks delicious!!

6. I admit I’ve never made oatmeal this way, but it seems like this wouldn’t be enough liquid. Is it supposed to be pretty dry?

7. Luci Sheriff says:

Could this be prepared at night, refrigerated and baked in the morning? Any thoughts are much appreciated for this very much, not a morning person.

8. Luci sheriff says:

@Lynn, I made this up last night, and threw it in the oven this morning. Sooo yummy. I will definatly make up different versions.

9. Luci sheriff says:

I used frozen mixed berries and blueberry yogurt, as that is what I had. So very good.

10. I made this recipe this morning. Only thing I changed was I doubled the blueberries and used almost 2 cups (maybe 1 3/4 cup-ish.) I felt like it needed more :) And it was DELICIOUS!!

11. Dear Lynn,

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made it this morning and my mom and I absolutely LOVED it. We didn’t have plain or vanilla yogurt so I used strawberry yogurt, and the only other variation was that we didn’t pour milk over it (we like our oatmeal pretty thick and dry!) I was saying that it actually tastes almost like a dessert it’s so good– almost too good to be oatmeal! Thanks again for sharing :) I will certainly be making this again in the future!

• @Alexandra, I am so glad that you enjoy it! I agree it is kind of like a dessert. I have not tried using other flavors of yogurt, but I am sure that would be very good. I need to try that.

12. Luci Sheriff says:

I have now made this and the other varieties so many Saturday mornings, that I have the ingredients memorized. Or so I thought. FYI- if you forget the melted butter, it turns out just fine.

13. Can you use diced apples in this just like you do the blueberries?

• The apples change this a little. I actually use applesauce and apples in my apple version. Apples release more moisture so it changes it a bit. I will try to post my apple version soon. It is perfect for fall.

14. I’ve been desperately searching for a healthy, hearty breakfast for my family and myself, and now I’ve found it. Just this week I’ve made the pumpkin version twice, banana twice, and blueberry this morning. My picky son, who won’t touch oatmeal, thinks this is a cake and inhales it. He even asked for a piece for his lunch as dessert. I put off trying it for a long time and am kicking myself. Thank you!

• Thanks for letting me know how much your family enjoyed the baked oatmeal! My son, who hates oatmeal loves all of them also. That is what I love about these recipes, even a non oatmeal lover usually enjoys them.

15. Just made a very similar version of this for breakfast today. Delish!!! I’m just curious about storing leftovers. Does it need to be refrigerated? I can’t think of why it would me, but maybe I’m missing something. Thanks!

• I keep mine in the refrigerator for 2 or so days and it was still fine. Ours usually gets eaten pretty quickly so it does not last much longer than that. It does freeze well also if you want it to last even longer.

16. Oh my goodness, how did I not know about baked oatmeal? I just made the peanut butter and banana versions this afternoon and I love them. I’m now going to try the blueberry and pumpkin, then package them up for the next few weeks’ worth of mornings. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

17. I finally tried your baked oatmeal this weekend, and we all loved it. (including my hubby and two year old daughter; she is convinced it’s muffins!) I used plain yogurt and would probably add a tiny bit of extra sugar next time if using plain, and I would up the milk to 1 1/2 cups only because I used extra thick oatmeal. Thanks for the great recipes (and for saving this mama’s mornings)!!

18. Thank you for sharing your baked oatmeal recipes. I love this blueberry version! My family loved the peanut butter one. It’s a great alternative to a traditional bowl of oatmeal and just as easy to make in the morning!

19. I absolutely love this recipe. It was so good :)

20. Our son and daughter-in-law had the whole family over after church on Mother’s Day for a fabulous brunch that started off with your blueberry baked oatmeal! What a treat that was for Mother’s Day! I agree with the others that this is like a dessert! It was such a wonderful family time for all of us! Our daughter-in-law gave us the link to your website, and we’re now planning to try your recipe at home. Thanks for sharing this special treat!

• Thank you, that is so nice. I am glad you enjoyed it for your Mother’s Day breakfast. How nice of your son and daughter in-law to make breakfast for you! And I hope you enjoy my recipes and site.

21. Does anyone know if this could be frozen after it is baked?

22. Diane Hanke says:

Made this yesterday, it’s delicious. How many servings did you calculate for this recipe?

23. Nancy Tirello says:

can I use regular oatmeal instead of quick oats”

how many servings does this make

24. Hi Lynn,
    We are going on vacation next month. I need to make and freeze some meals so we don’t eat out while we’re away. I haven’t tried this blueberry baked oatmeal but I’m sure I’ll love it. My problem is I have kids who don’t like blueberries. Have you tried this with raspberries or strawberries? Thanks for your help and the great recipes.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Blueberry Pancakes Egg Casserole in Muffin Cups French Toast and Sausage Blueberry Baked Oatmeal Breakfast [...]