I have been making Chocolate Angel Food cake for years. I have actually been making this since I was a teenager. So, I knew this was a recipe that I needed to adapt to be gluten free.
I recently gave it a try and it turned out perfectly. The gluten free version was just as good as I remember the regular version being.
This is great served on its own, but you can make it a little more special and serve it with chocolate whipped cream.
Gluten Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- ½ cup potato starch
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 ½ cups sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- ¼ baking cocoa
- 1 ½ cups eggs whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sift together potato starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and cocoa. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla until foamy.
- Add remaining ¾ cup sugar 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber scraper fold in flour mixture a few tablespoons at a time. Mixture will be thick but do not over beat the mixture. Gently fold in the flour.
- Spread into a 10 inch tube pan (not a bundt pan)
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the top of the cake springs bake when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert the cake and leave upside down in the pan to cool.
- Once cooled run a knife a long the sides of the pan and remove cake.
- Serve with chocolate whipping cream if desired. This is also good with fresh fruit.