If you love bakery style muffins, but miss them since going gluten free you need to make these Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins!
My family loves muffins. We love them! Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and desserts we love them.
We have several muffin recipes that we have been making for years that I have adapted to be gluten free. When I first started adapting muffin recipes I thought it would be easy. It is not.
These gluten free chocolate chips muffins might look delicious, but that picture was taken after many tries. The picture below is what some of the versions looked like.
Not very pretty or tasty. But I was determined not to give up on these muffins because my family loved the original version so much. I knew I really wanted to adapt to be gluten free, but this was not an easy task.
The original muffin was for a bakery style muffin. It had a great taste and texture. The trick was to get that same taste and texture in a gluten free version.
I think I made these at least six times. The first few batches tasted okay, but needed work. Then just when I thought I might have them right, they started collapsing in the middle and I had to start adjusting again.
After quite a bit of trying I finally have them right. The final version is a gluten free muffin my kids love!
The biggest change I made was using buttermilk as the liquid and adding a little baking soda. I think the buttermilk really helped with the texture of these. Buttermilk may just be one of my secret weapons in gluten free baking. In some recipes it makes all the difference.
Now, these are a sweet muffin. They could actually be used more like a dessert or even a cupcake if frosted, but however you serve them I think you will enjoy them. We love making them in a large batch to keep in the freezer. So good!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners. This makes 18 muffins.
- In a bowl whisk together rice flours, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This takes 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add vanilla.
- Add ½ of the flour mixture. Beat until combined.
- Add buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Add remaining flour just until combined
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done with a toothpick.