Apples, oatmeal, and brown sugar are the perfect fall food combination, but what can make it a little better?
Add a little caramel to it for a caramel apple crisp!
I had a few too many helpings of this. It was so good warm from the oven, I just could not help myself. It made for the perfect fall dessert. I loved it.
And it is even better with a little ice cream on top.
Caramel Apple Crisp
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal, ground in a blender or food processor until fine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (in addition to the oatmeal from above that has been ground)
- 3 lbs of apples ( I used granny smith, but you could use another apple that is good for baking)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce ( I used caramel ice cream topping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl combine the ground oats, brown sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons regular sugar. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or two forks, until mixed together and the butter is about pea sized. You do not want the butter totally mixed in, you want some chunks. Stir in oatmeal. Place in the refrigerator to keep cold while you prepare the apples.
- Peel and slice apples and place them in a bowl. Toss with lemon juice, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Place apples in a 9×13 or similar size pan. Sprinkle with oatmeal topping.
- Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!