I think the sweet potatoes covered with marshmallows that I grew up eating, did me in for sweet potatoes.
However, this soup is changing my mind when it comes to sweet potatoes. I really enjoyed this soup and it was a great way to get my kids to eat and enjoy sweet potatoes.
I think you will be seeing this soup on the menu often this fall and winter. It is so easy and so good. Not only that it freezes well, so I can make a large batch of it to use for lunches through out the week.
Do you like sweet potatoes?
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups potatoes that have been peeled and cubed, this is about 3 potatoes
- 3 cups sweet potatoes that have been peeled and cubed, this is 2-3 sweet potatoes depending on the size
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1- 8 ounce cream cheese cut into cubes and at room temperature
- 4 slices of bacon that have been cooked and crumbled (optional, but good)
- In a large pan place chicken broth, potatoes, sweet potatoes, salt, and peppers. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook until potatoes are tender. This takes about 15 minutes, depending on how large you cut your potatoes.
- Once potatoes are done puree the soup. You can either do this with a blender, be careful though putting hot liquid in your blender, or use an immersion blender.
- Place soup back in pan and add cream cheese. Heat and stir until cream cheese is melted into soup.
- Serve with bacon sprinkled on top.