Chocolate cream pie is one of my all time favorite pies. I mean what can be bad about chocolate and cream together in a pie. They just go so well together.
This chocolate cream pie recipe is adapted from a Martha Stewart Recipe and it is so good!
I mentioned earlier this year how much I loved Martha Stewart’s Pie Book. Well, I can still say I love this book. I have yet to try a pie recipe out of it that we have not enjoyed. Some of the recipes are a bit complicated, but most of the recipes are simple and classic pies like this chocolate cream pie today.
I have made many chocolate cream pies over the years, and this is my new favorite. In fact, I have made it twice in the last few weeks, and I might just make another one for Thanksgiving. This was really that good.
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 pre baked pie shell (I used my gluten free pie crust recipe)
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 4 ounces of chocolate chips
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (optional but really helps it set up)
- 2 tablespoons water (optional, for gelatin)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Sprinkle gelatin in water and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat milk and chocolate over medium high heat. Whisk constantly until chocolate is melted.
- In another pan combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Slowly whisk in milk/chocolate mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. This takes 4-5 minutes.
- Take 1 cup of pudding mixture and stir into egg yolks. Then add that mixture back to the remaining pudding in the pan.
- Whisk over medium heat for 1-2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and softened gelatin.
- Strain pudding to remove any lumps.
- Place pudding in a bowl and cover in plastic wrap. Place wrap directly on pudding so that a thick skin does not form. Let pudding cool and then place in a prebaked pie crust.
- Whip together cream and powdered sugar until stiff. This takes 3-5 minutes. Spread over pie and refrigerate until serving.
Adapted from Martha Stewart