I love to give homemade candy away as gifts during the holidays. And what better gift to give than a plate of homemade candy bars. A plateful or package of these homemade heath bars, paired with another homemade candy bar, is a treat anyone would enjoy!
If you love heath bars, or english toffee type candy bars, you will love these. They really are good.
And I might just have eaten a few too many last time I made them.
Homemade Heath Bars
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 cups butter, at room temperature, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Grease a 15-in. x 10-inch pan with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside. ( I use my silpat mat here for lining the pan and it works great.)
- In a large pan, melt the remaining butter. Add the sugar, corn syrup and salt. And cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 295 degrees. This is hard-crack stage.
- Quickly, and I do mean quickly before it hardens, pour into 15 x10 inch pan.
- Let stand at room temperature until completely cooled and hardened. This will take about 2 hrs.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Spread over toffee.
- Let stand for 1 hour, you can also put this in the fridge to harden the chocolate up.
- Break into bite-size pieces. Store in an airtight container.
For more great Christmas ideas please visit the other bloggers joining me on this series.
Christmas Homeschool Fun: 1+1+1=1
Christmas Decorations: Songbird
Tips for a Healthy Holiday: The Thrifty Mama
Saving Money: Surviving the Stores
Travel Tips: Mom’s Travel Tales
Christmas Family Fun: Life as Mom
Homemade Christmas Gifts: The Happy Housewife