Today for Souper Mondays we are talking chili.
I think my husband may have a new favorite chili. I made this recently and he loved it and so did the rest of the family. This time of year we eat a lot of chili and using a pork roast in chili made for a nice change.
Now, I know not everyone has a freezer full of pork like I do, but if you find a good sale on pork roast, this would be a great recipe to try. It really is a fun change from just a basic chili.
Have you tried pork in chili before?
Oven Pork Chili
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 lb pork roast, fat trimmed and cut into ½ inch cubes ( I used a pork shoulder roast)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3- 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2- 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 – 15 ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In an oven proof pan heat oil. Add onions and green pepper and cook until tender.
- Add cubed pork and brown pork on all sides.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 2 ½ -3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Serve with a little shredded cheese and enjoy!
- The leftovers, if you have any, freeze well.