Granola makes the perfect gift for the holidays. It is simple to make and almost everyone loves it.
Plus, it is a little healthier than a plate of cookies or candy. Not that we don’t all love sweet treats during the holidays, but healthy treats are also fun.
You can easily make a batch of regular homemade granola, pumpkin granola, strawberry granola, and this chocolate granola to give away as gifts. Wouldn’t a gift basket full of different homemade granola be a great gift to receive?
The first time I saw a recipe for Homemade Chocolate granola was from my friend JessieLeigh. I instantly knew I had to try the chocolate granola combination. I love chocolate and I love granola so I knew it would be a combination I would enjoy. My recipe is a little different than hers. And I think mine has a little more, or maybe a lot more chocolate, because you know you can never have too much chocolate. Her version has almonds in it, which I think would be a great addition if you can have nuts.
Homemade Chocolate Granola
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup cocoa
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 4 cups quick cooking oats (you can use all old fashioned oats, but we like the texture with both kinds)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a small sauce pan combine brown sugar, oil, and honey. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa.
- Place oats in a large bowl and stir in sugar/cocoa mixture.
- Spread into 2 9×13 pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in chocolate chips.
- Turn off oven and return granola to oven. (Yes you turn the oven off and place granola back in it. This helps the granola to finish cooking without over cooking it.)
- Leave in oven for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Store in sealed containers or jars.