Nothing says comfort food quite like fried apples. They are a simple, easy, frugal, and old fashioned comfort food.
I do have one question though. Are fried apples a dessert, a side dish, a delicious breakfast treat, or all three?
I will admit that we have used them for all three.
What do you think?
- ¼ cup butter
- 6 apples peeled and sliced into ¼ to ½ inch pieces ( I prefer granny smith or another good baking type apple)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large pan melt butter. (I like to use my cast iron pan for these fried apples)
- Add apples, sugar, and cinnamon to melted butter and mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook until apple are tender about 15 minutes. You will need to stir these often.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream for dessert or plain as a side dish or snack.