Today for ground beef Thursday we are talking pie, Frito pie that is.
Frito Pie is something that I had never heard of until moving to Oklahoma, seventeen years ago. It is definitely not something that we grew up eating in Oregon.
I remember mentioning to someone that I had never had my chili served with Fritos and they looked at me like I was crazy and said, “Chili is not chili without Fritos.”
So, I quickly learned that Fritos and chili do indeed go together. And once I tried it, I actually thought it was very good.
Frito Pie seems to be a regional thing, at least from what I can tell it is mainly in the Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas area that it is popular. (But feel free to let me know if I am wrong on that. )
The wonderful thing about the internet though is that regional food is really not that regional anymore. Through the internet people all over the US, now know and love dishes like frito pie. That is the beauty of the internet and cookbook world of today.
There are a lot of recipes out there for Frito pie, but most people I know in Oklahoma do not really make a special recipe. They take a basic ground beef chili recipe and just serve it with Fritos.
Technically Frito pie is where you take a bowl and line the bottom of it with fritos. Then you pile chili and shredded cheese on top. Often though, I just serve chili with Fritos on the side and let everyone layer it how they want.
Frito Pie is a great meal to serve a crowd since it is basically just Fritos and chili. Chili is always a popular dish and fritos are an easy side thing to pair with it.
Here is my version of frito pie. I like to cook chili in the crock pot. Cooking it low and slow really help the flavors blend together, so plan ahead for this recipe.
Have you ever heard of or eaten Frito pie?
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 can tomatoes, (14 ounce)
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies (rotel type)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 bag Fritos (for serving)
- shredded cheese for serving.
- In a pan brown ground beef and onion until beef is browned and onion is tender.
- Drain off any fat and place meat and remaining ingredients, except Fritos, into a crock pot.
- Stir well and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Place a few Fritos in a bowl and pour some chili on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese and enjoy!