This chocolate quinoa cake recipe is adapted from the cookbook Quinoa 365 that I bought last year. I have not tried many recipes from the cookbook yet so I cannot give a full review, but so far I have enjoyed the book and the new ideas for adding quinoa to our diet.
Quinoa is one of the healthiest grains that you can eat. It is an ancient grain that has been around for centuries and is full of nutritunal value and I look forward to experimenting more with it.
I know quinoa in a cake sounds odd, but it really is good. My whole family loves this. And with quinoa as the grain in it, you feel you are eating at least a semi-healthy dessert.
Chocolate Quinoa Cake
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a pan bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 12 minutes and then turn off heat and remove from burner, but let sit covered for 10 more minutes. Set aside.
- Line 2- 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper and lightly grease the parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine milk, eggs, and vanilla in a blender. Add 2 cups of the cooked quinoa and blend until smooth. This take a little while, but you want to be sure it is blended well and very smooth.
- Pour quinoa mixture into a bowl and add remaining ingredients, but chocolate chips, and stir until well combined. And then stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into cake pans dividing evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until cake is done and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan to finish cooling.
- We like this plain or with powdered sugar sprinkled on top, but you also frost this cake.