Today’s soup for Souper Monday is similar to a taco soup, but it is a richer and heartier soup. It is really more of a ground beef stew with a taco/southwest type flavor.
Southwest Beef Stew
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces of frozen corn
- 1-15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa (You can use mild, medium, or hot depending on how spicy you like it.)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese for serving
- In a large pan brown ground beef and drain off any fat.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cheese, and stir well. Cook over medium low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls garnished with cheese.
Adapted from Taste Of Home