Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? I love a good grilled cheese sandwich, so this is a food holiday I am all for.
I have loved grilled cheese since I was a kid. We ate it often growing up and it has always been one of my favorite sandwiches.
Over the years I have had fun experimenting with all kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches, but my kids like it when I keep it simple, they are kids after all. So, I knew that I wanted to come up with a grilled cheese sandwich that we would all enjoy. I also wanted to make a sandwich that we could eat anytime of day.
If you have read this site for long than you know I love bacon. Bacon makes everything better, including grilled cheese. And I could not think of anything better to go with bacon and cheese than an egg.
So, what do you have when you combine bacon, egg, and cheese on a sandwich? You have a delicious breakfast grilled cheese sandwich.
We think this is perfect not only for breakfast, but for lunch or dinner as well. I don’t know about you, but I could eat bacon, egg, and cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich just about anytime of day.
Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
For 1 Sandwich:
- 2 slices of Udi’s Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread ( Any variety would work, but we like the basic white sandwich bread for this.)
- 2 slices of bacon that has been cooked
- 1 fried egg, cooked until the yolk is hard
- 2 slices of Horizon Organic American Cheese ( You can also use Horizon cheddar cheese, but we like the way American cheese melts.)
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down on a hot grill or panini press. Place one slice of cheese on the bread.
- Place 2 slices of bacon on top of cheese. Then place egg on top of bacon.
- Add the last slice of cheese and the second slice of bread with the butter side up.
- Cook on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes or until outside of the bread is slightly browned and the cheese is starting to melt.
- Carefully flip the sandwich over and cook for 2-4 more minutes or until the second side is done and the cheese is completely melted. (If you are using a panini press you will not need to flip the sandwich.)
- Serve and enjoy!
Disclaimer: I was sent the products to come up with this recipe, but my thoughts and opinions are my own.