This week for Cooking Through My Collection I have a slow cooked pork loin recipe from the cookbook Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood. This is a cookbook I bought several years ago when it first came out, but I have not done much cooking from it and I am not sure why because it is a great cookbook.
These recipes are Trisha and her family’s take on everyday southern type food. These are recipes that contain everyday ingredients that you have on hand in your kitchen.
This cookbook contains some great recipes and if I was not gluten free I would so be trying her recipe for Apple Dumplings and for Monkey Bread. And I think I am going to have to try to adapt her lime cake and see if I can make it work gluten free.
For today’s recipe though I have one from the beef and pork section of her cookbook. It is a slow cooker pork loin roast and it was so easy.
I served this with my Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes and we really enjoyed it. The sauce for the meat paired really well with the potatoes.
Now I know for this cooking through my collection series I am supposed to be following the recipe, but for this one I did make one change. The recipe calls for you to add cornstarch to the hot liquid, well as much as I love this cookbook and Trisha, I disagree with her on this one.
Cornstarch should never be added to a hot liquid or it is much more likely to clump up and it will be very difficult to get a smooth sauce. I always add cornstarch to cool liquid and then mix into the hot liquid. So, for this recipe I followed my instinct instead of the recipe and mixed the cornstarch with a few tablespoons of water before adding to the hot liquid.
Do any of you have Trisha’s Cookbooks? I would love to hear your thoughts on them?
Slow Cooked Pork Loin Roast
- 2 1/2 – 3 pound pork roast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce ( I used gluten free soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl combine the garlic powder, ginger, thyme, and pepper. Rub all over the pork roast.
- In a large pan heat oil and brown meat on all sides.
- Place browned meat into your crock pot.
- In a bowl combine chicken broth, lemon juice, and soy sauce and pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until tender.
- When the roast is done transfer it to a serving platter and remove 2 cups of juice from the slow cooker. Skim off any fat.
- In a pan combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and whisk well. Slowly add hot juices and cook over medium high heat, whisking constantly until the sauce is desired thickness. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve sauce over meat and enjoy!