Hot Fudge Sundae Cake is an old fashioned type dessert that goes by many names. I have heard it called chocolate cobbler, chocolate pudding cake, and several other names. But no matter what they are called, I have yet to try one that we did not like.
How can a chocolate cake served with a warm pudding type sauce be bad?!
One of the best things about hot fudge cakes is that they are a simple and easy dessert to make using everyday ingredients.
I recently picked up the cookbook Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook for a dollar at a used book sale. The cookbook is full of simple crock pot recipes and I already marked a few that I want to try. I think this cookbook will get a lot of use because I am always looking for new crock pot recipes and ideas.
One of the recipes that immediately caught my eye was the slow cooker hot fudge sundae cake. Since we love anything chocolate in our house, I was pretty sure this one would be a hit.
And it was. Warm right out of the crock pot with ice cream on top was delicious. This was such an easy dessert and it was so good!
If any of you own the Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook I would love to hear your thoughts on it.
The version I am sharing today is the regular version, but I will be sharing the version I adapted to be gluten free later this week in my allergy section.
Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts ( I left these out)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Mix flour, regular sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Stir in nuts if using.
- Spread the batter into a greased 3 quart, or about that size, crock pot.
- In a bowl mix together the brown sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, and the hot water and pour evenly over the cake batter.
- Cook on high for 2- 2 1/2 hours. Mine took about 2 hrs.
- Turn off slow cooker and let sit about 15- 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm and enjoy!