I love simple and delicious meals that use everyday ingredients. We all have busy days and having simple meals that we can turn to allows us to still put a healthy and delicious meal on the table.
Food today can often be expensive and complicated to make. Yes, it tastes good, but cooking today is a long way from the simple meals of the past. Gourmet type food is great, but there is something about a simple meal with only a few ingredients that I love.
And today’s recipe is just that. It is a simple meal that contains only a few ingredients.
This cookbook is written by Lucinda Scala Quinn, who works for Martha Stewart, and who has appeared on many of Martha Stewart’s shows, and in the Martha Stewart magazines.
We served these eggs with fried skillet potatoes, but you could serve this with bread, tortillas, or even on its own.
And this recipe works for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I love recipes that work like that.
This is also one of those recipes that does not photograph well, but I am looking past that because this is a simple and delicious recipe that I thought was worth sharing.
Have you ever cooked eggs in a tomato based sauce? If you do, I would love to hear how you cook it?
Eggs Poached in Tomato Sauce
- 1- 28 ounce can tomatoes, I used diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- toast for serving
- Place tomatoes in a blender and blend until coarsely chopped.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and quickly add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stirring until garlic is light golden about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Season with a little salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Gently crack eggs into tomato sauce and cover. Cook on medium low for about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and finish cooking eggs until they reach desired doneness. Remove from heat and let sit 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serve with toast if desired. We like this also served with warm tortillas and cheese or with potatoes.