Have you ever had a dessert pizza when eating out at a restaurant? Well, I have and I will admit it was one of my favorite things about eating at pizza restaurants.
Today’s recipe was inspired by an apple pizza that we used to enjoy when eating out. Now, it is not exactly the same thing, but we actually think it is better.
We don’t even need to talk about how many pieces of this I ate. I will just say it was more than I should have. It really was that good.
Who doesn’t love pizza and dessert? Combine them into one and you have something everyone is sure to love. If you love dessert pizza, this is a must try.
Now, you can leave the caramel off of this and it is still very good, but we like the caramel with the apple and it adds a nice extra depth of flavor to it, that we love.
- 1 pie crust, unbaked single pie crust ( I use my gluten free pie crust recipe)
- 5 cups sliced peeled apples, tart baking apples work best
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Roll pie crust out onto a 12 inch pizza pan. This will be thinner than a pie crust would be. If you do not have a pizza pan you could do this free form on a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl mix together cheese topping mixture and spread on pie crust.
- In a separate pan combine apples, butter, sugar and cinnamon. Cook over medium low heat for 3-5 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Spread apples over cream cheese layer. If your apples have a lot of liquid/sauce do not place all of the liquid /sauce on the pizza or you will have a mess in your oven. Ask me how I know. Apples vary on how much juice they have, but you do not want so much liquid that it runs all over the place. I left a few tablespoon of liquid in the pan last time I made it. (You may want to set a second pan on the rack below this in the oven to catch the drips, in case it does go over. That will help avoid a messy oven.)
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve.