I love sweet and sour chicken. The flavors just go together so well. It is one of those simple meals that has so much flavor.
Today’s recipe is even more simple because it is made in the crock pot. One of the things I love about this sweet and sour chicken is that it is a pretty healthy dinner. All you have to do is add some rice and dinner is done.
I will say that this is not my kid’s favorite meal. My husband and I love it, my kids, not so much. My son dislikes peppers and pineapple. My girls love pineapple, but not cooked pineapple.
So, this is one of those meals that I love, but don’t cook often. My kids eat it, because it is what I serve, but it is not their favorite.
I just wanted to add that in case you have kids like mine, who are a bit picky when it comes to peppers and cooked pineapple. Or are my kids the only ones that don’t like those things?
Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce ( I used gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 16 ounces canned pineapple, drained
- 1 green bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- In a small bowl combine sugar, ketchup, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and ground ginger.
- Place chicken, onions,pineapple, and peppers in a crock pot. Pour sauce over them.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Adapted from Cooking Light