Several of you had never made them. Others had made them, but wanted to know how I made them. So, today I am sharing the recipe with you.
Although, this is not really a recipe. It is more of a basic technique than a recipe. And it is one you can really change up. We like ours pretty plain. Bread, oil, salt, and pepper. Yes, you can add seasoning or things like Parmesan cheese to them, but we like the salad to have the flavor and the crouton be the extra part, so we keep it simple.
If you normally buy your croutons from a box or bag at the store, you really need to try making your own. I mean seriously don’t those croutons look good. Homemade are so much better. They are fresh and full of flavor and everything a crouton should be.
Salad and salad dressing recipe coming soon.
- 7-8 slices of bread, cut into 1/2 cubes, about 4 cups- A basic white, french style, or baguette type bread works best
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper or to taste
- In a large bowl toss bread cubes with oil and salt and pepper until bread is well coated.
- Spread on a cookie sheet or shallow pan.
- Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes, stirring twice during cooking. You are basically toasting these, so check them a few times while baking to be sure they do not get over done.
- Store in an airtight container.