You may have guessed that my family eats a lot of Mexican and Tex Mex type foods by the amount of recipes that I share for them. They are meals that the whole family loves. I love them because they are usually quick and easy to make and don’t break the budget.
Keeping it simple and inexpensive, while serving my family home cooked meals they all love, is what it is all about for me. And today’s recipe is just that. Quick and easy to make and budget and family friendly.
Do you agree? Are Mexican and Tex Mex type meals a favorite at your house?
Cheesy Mexican Beef and Beans Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning, or use homemade
- 1- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 -16 ounce can refried beans
- 12 ounces tortilla chips, crushed slightly ( This is a good way to use those end of the bag crushed chips you may have. Or is my family the only ones that has those.)
- 4 cups colby jack or mexican blend cheese
- sour cream and salsa for serving
- In a pan cook ground beef and onion until beef is browned and onion is tender.
- Stir in taco seasoning, chilies, tomatoes, and beans.
- Place half of the tortilla chips into 9×13 pan.
- Layer half of the meat mixture and half of the cheese on top.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.