Last week for my crock pot favorites series I shared a recipe for slow cooked black beans that we love to layer as burrito bowls. Today I have the spicy pork that I like to use along with the black beans for burrito bowls.
One of the things I love about burrito bowls is that they work great for serving a crowd. A large pot of beans, a pork roast like this one today, rice, cheese, salsa, lettuce, chips, and whatever else you like piled on and you have a pretty inexpensive meal that will serve quite a few people. And it works great buffet style where everyone can make their own.
This pork is great for a burrito bowl type meal, but we also love it for pork tacos, a burrito filling, on top of chips as nachos, and really any Mexican type meal. This filling really is an all purpose Mexican or Tex-Mex type meal and it freeze well.
Slow Cooked Spicy Pulled Pork
- 3-5 pound pork shoulder roast- I like to brine my pork roast
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Place roast in crock pot and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender combine onion, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, oil, and orange juice. Puree.
- Pour sauce over pork roast and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove roast from crock pot and shred.
- Pour some of the sauce over the meat and mix well.
- Serve with tortillas, with chips and lettuce as taco salad, or with black beans as burrito bowls.