Today for Slow Cooker Monday I am sharing a new favorite slow cooker meal at our house. This is one that will be on the menu plan often.
When my daughter and I visited Oregon a few weeks ago, my sister made a shredded pork taco with a Mexican coleslaw one day for lunch and it was delicious. I instantly knew it was a meal my husband would love.
My sister told me what she did for the pork and she gave me the recipe for the Mexican Coleslaw, but because I always like to tweak recipes a little, ok a lot, I changed it up and came up with a delicious slow cooker version of the pork.
It turned out so good and was so easy to make with the crock pot. I think pork is best cooked low and slow, so it works great in the slow cooker.
And if you have never tried a Mexican or Southwest coleslaw, you need to. It is a fun twist on a basic coleslaw that goes really well with this pork. I adjusted the basic recipe my sister gave me by basically tasting it as I made it until I got it how I liked.
I also like to brine my pork roast for recipes like this. I think it really helps the taste and texture.
Favorite Kitchen Tools Used for This Recipe
If you make a purchase through one of these links I receive a small advertising fee. Thank you for supporting this site and what I do.
Slow Cooked Pulled Pork with Mexican Coleslaw
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 1/2 – 4 pound pork roast, (I like pork shoulder or pork butt, but I think other cuts would work also)
- corn tortillas for serving
- In a small bowl combine oregano, chili powder cumin, salt, and black pepper and rub all over meat.
- Place meat in slow cooker. Spread onion over meat.
- In a bowl combine garlic, tomato paste, honey, orange juice, and lime juice. Pour over pork and onions.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until pork is tender.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred. Pour 1/2-1 cup of liquid from slow cooker over meat for serving.
- Serve on corn tortillas with Mexican Slaw, recipe below.
For Mexican Slaw
- 1- 16 ounce package coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Mix all slaw ingredients together and refrigerate for several hours to blend flavors.
- Serve with pulled pork on corn tortillas.