We love tomato soup at our house. And we like the real homemade kind.
In fact, I am not sure my kids have ever had tomato soup from a can. Now, I do occasionally buy soup from a can, but not tomato soup. Tomato soup is so easy to make and so much better when it is homemade.
What I like about making crock pot tomato soup is how convenient it is for everyone to eat when they need to. Most days we all sit down and eat dinner together, but there are some days where my husband has to work really late or the kids have something going on and eating together just doesn’t work.
Saturday lunches are often like that as well with so many of us coming and going at different times.
Crock pot tomato soup works great for days like that. It only takes a couple hours for the flavors to blend well together, but it won’t hurt it if it cooks for awhile longer. So this is a great meal to just keep in the crock pot for everyone to just eat as needed.
And the flavor of this is so good. Really good. Much better than from a can.
This time of year tomato soup is delicious served with bread or a grilled cheese sandwich. Grilled cheese and tomato soup are a classic combination. They just go together so well.
Do you prefer your tomato soup homemade or from a can?
Crock Pot Tomato Soup
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups of chicken broth or stock
- 4- 14 ounce cans of tomatoes
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese, this is the real stuff, not the stuff from a can
- ¼ cup asiago cheese, shredded or use an Italian cheese blend
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a skillet or pan heat oil and add onion. Reduce temperature and cook onions, stirring often until lightly browned and caramelized. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Place onion mixture in crock pot.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Cook on low for 2-3 three hours.
- Carefully puree the mixture in a blender or use an immersion blender. (I prefer the immersion blender, because hot liquid and blenders do not always mix well.) If using a blender pour back in crock pot after it is pureed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Leave in crock pot on low or warm until serving.
- Serve with more cheese sprinkled on top if desired.