I had never made biscotti until a few weeks ago. I have eaten it many times, but I had never made it homemade.
When I have had biscotti in the past, I have never really enjoyed it, but that changed once I made it myself. The biscotti I have always eaten has always been store bought or from coffee shops, the homemade kind was so much better. And not only that, the homemade biscotti that I made was gluten free. So, yes homemade gluten free biscotti tasted better than any other biscotti I have had.
My whole family loved this and tomorrow I will be sharing a gluten free chocolate biscotti. Both are easy to make and would make great holiday food gifts or treats.
We dipped these in chocolate, because chocolate makes everything better. You could easily leave these plain or add chopped nuts to dough.
Gluten Free Biscotti Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups white rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, beat butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, and baking powder until smooth.
- Add eggs and beat on low speed in a mixer, add the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum. Mix just until smooth.
- Put the dough onto the greased baking sheet. Press dough onto cookie sheet to about 3/4 inch thick. You want a rectangular type shape here because you will slice it after it is partially baked.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Wait 5 minutes, then use a knife to cut the logs crosswise into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices.
- Lay biscotti back on the baking sheet. Put them into the oven and bake them for 25 to 30 minutes, until biscoitt feels dry and has a slightly golden color. It will firm up some as it cools.
- Remove the biscotti from the oven and transfer them to a rack to cool.