A homemade box of chocolates makes the perfect holiday gift. Really how wouldn’t love to receive a big box of chocolates.
These orange and raspberry chocolates are a favorite in my family.
When my daughter tasted the orange version of these she said “Mom these taste just like the kind you get in a box of chocolates.” And I was so happy, because that is just what I was hoping for.
Because of my daughter’s nut and peanut allergy, boxes of chocolate are pretty much off limits for our family. They just aren’t safe because even the non-nut ones have too high of a risk of cross contamination.
So, these homemade fruit chocolates work great for us.
You can really use any extract for these. Lemon is good and I think cherry would also be good. If you make up several flavors of these and place them in tins or boxes, they would make a unique and delicious gift. And also a pretty inexpensive gift to give.
Homemade Raspberry and Orange Chocolates
- 3-3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons raspberry or orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add milk and mix well.
- Spread mixture onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. ( I use my silpat mat)
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of shortening in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Spread over chilled mixture and chill until chocolate is set.
- Flip bars over and carefully peel or parchment paper. Melt remaining chocolate and shortening and spread over the flavored layer. Chill until set.
- After firm, bring to room temperature and then cut them. If the chocolate is solid these will be hard to cut. I bring them to room temperature to cut them, and then put them back in the refrigerator to store them.