As I am typing this most of the US is hitting record low temperatures. This week in Oklahoma we hit 0 degrees. Some parts of Oklahoma dipped into the negative numbers. Now that is cold. And although the weather forecast says it will warm up soon, it is only January. We have plenty of winter weather ahead of us.
Winter weather means soup and chili weather at my house. The colder it is the more I want a nice big bowl of hearty and healthy soup.
One of our favorite soups to make is taco soup. It is easy to make and uses ingredients I almost always have on hand. Not only that, but it is a meal my whole family likes.
Taco soup is one of those recipe that I love because it is easy to change up by using a different variety of beans or meat.
A few weeks ago I had taco soup on the menu plan and I had planned to make your basic taco soup with hamburger, but then I decided to change it up some by adding some quinoa to it.
Last week I talked about what quinoa is and how much I love it. It is one of my favorite healthy grains to use in recipes. And recipes like this slow quinoa taco soup are a simple way to incorporate it into your diet.
When I told my family what kind of taco soup I had made, they were very skeptical of it, but in the end they all enjoyed it. They said it was a nice change from the taco soup I usually make.
If you looking for ways to add more quinoa to you diet this is a good place to start. And if you are looking for ways to cut back on meat I think this would be a great recipe to try. Simply leave out the ground beef and add a little extra quinoa. It would also make it less expensive and yet it would still be delicious.
Slow Cooked Quinoa Taco Soup
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2- 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 package taco seasoning, or use homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- In a pan brown beef with onion until meat is done and onion is tender. Drain off any fat.
- Place meat in a 5-6 quart slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until quinoa is done. In my slow cooker it takes about 5 hrs.
- Serve with cheese, sour cream, chips, etc. and enjoy!