I had planned on sharing this gluten free chocolate marble cake last week for my Martha Stewart Cakes the gluten free way series, but life got busy and I did not get it done. And I am even posting it a bit late this week.
I am really enjoying this series of baking through Martha Stewart Cakes, making them gluten free. When I first started this series I had intended to share a weekly recipe and I have done that pretty regularly since October, but I am struggling to keep up that schedule.
Is it possible to get tired of cake?!
My family really is not tired of cake, but with all the other gluten free baking I do, plus regular everyday life and cooking, working on a gluten free cake a week is proving to be quite a challenge. Especially when I often need to try several times to get a gluten free version just right.
I don’t want to give up this series though. I am enjoying it too much for that. So, I am going to continue the series and continue baking my way through the cookbook, but I may not post a weekly recipe. I am going to just post them as I make and adapt them to gluten free. That may be weekly or it may be once or twice a month. I am just going to share them as I have time.
Now for this week’s cake. It was delicious!
This was a cake my family loved. I did change the recipe some though. The original recipe called for a lot of ginger. I did not have fresh ginger and the combination of ginger and chocolate was one I was not sure about, so I skipped the ginger. It worked find and made it more of a classic marble cake without it.
The original recipe also had a glaze on the cake. I left the glaze off and we still really enjoyed it. If you want to put a simple chocolate glaze on it, I am sure it would be delicious that way as well.
Besides those two things I kept the rest of the recipe basically the same. I used cornstarch and sweet rice flour in this because those almost always work well in gluten free cakes. They help give them a light texture and in this they worked well.
I will also add that my marble cakes never look like marble cakes do in the pictures. Mine are never even and never pretty. I think I may need to work on my swirling it together technique. Taste is what is important though and the taste on this is great.
Gluten Free Chocolate Marble Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups rice flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces bitter sweet chocolate, chopped (be sure it is gluten free)
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2- 9×5 inch loaf pans.
- In a bowl mix together rice flour, cornstarch, sweet rice flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and let cool slightly.
- With a mixer cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. This will take 4-5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Add flour in three batches, alternating with sour cream. Beat just until incorporated.
- Add half of the batter to the chocolate mixture.
- Drop in pan alternating between chocolate batter and regular batter.
- Drag a knife through the batter and swirl batter slightly.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.